Who we are:
The Spokane Professional Doula Association (SPDA) is a group of certified doulas serving Spokane and the surrounding areas with labor and postpartum doula services. We offer space for doulas to build a strong sense of community through certification, active mentoring, ongoing personal development, and regular informative meetings for members. We are committed to elevating the professionalism of doulas in our community. SPDA brings together seasoned doulas with those new to their practice, in order to form a close-knit community. Our organization emphasizes certification, professionalism, mentoring, accountability and community.
We now have open enrollment! Please fill out the form below and we will follow up with you.
Certified Doula – $100.00 annually
Non-certified Doula – $200.00 annually (Mentorship program included)
Membership in SPDA offers many advantages, including:
- Assistance with certification and business development
- A listing in our online directory complete with your profile and link to your website
- Exclusive access to our private Facebook group
- Meetings and workshops for your professional development and further education
- Mentorship program for new doulas, providing professional support online and in-person
- Membership referral program
- Backup doula network
- Childcare backup network
- Membership in a professional organization which is recognized and respected in the community
- Lending Library
- Opportunities to promote doula awareness and meet expecting families at our “SPDA Meet the Doulas Night”
What we provide:
Mentoring is an essential and required part of the SPDA. Our certified doulas serve as mentors to doulas newer to their practice, furthering their education beyond the initial doula training that all of our doulas participate in. Mentorship is a requirement for non-certified doula. This relationship begins when doulas join the association and continues until they become certified.
We have a strong commitment to creating a doula community. We host topic-specific quarterly meetings. These meetings create a space to discuss our work ethics, certification support, interviewing, working with clients, working with healthcare providers, birth processing, self-care, balancing family with an on-call lifestyle, the business side of things, and fostering a deep sense of community while assisting in building experience. All doulas are required to attend regular meetings.
We are consistently growing and learning together, striving to provide the best possible labor and postpartum support to local families.
What we’re looking for:
The ideal applicant is passionate and committed to doula work, professional, has attended in-person doula training, is certified or actively working towards certification, and/or wants to become certified through a nationally recognized doula organization. Applicant should have an understanding and commitment to being on-call, availability to attend meetings, and actively participate in the mentoring relationship. Newly trained doulas do not need to have attended births join.
Applicant may not be a student midwife or a midwives assistant.
Interested in becoming Certified?
Our doulas are certified through nationally recognized organizations listed below. These organizations standards align with the standards of SPDA.
Check the organizations below for full information about current steps toward certification:
- DONA International
- Academy of Certified Birth Educators and Labor Support
- Birth Arts International
- Birth Bootcamp
- Birthing From Within
- BirthWorks International
- CAPPA – Childbirth and Postpartum Professional Association
- Childbirth International
- College of the Rockies, Birth Doula Studies Program
- DTI – Doula Trainings International
- International Center for Traditional Childbearing
- ICEA – International Childbirth Education Association
- Massage Doula Network
All of our members strictly adhere to DONA’s Standards of Practice and Code of Ethics regardless of their certifying organization. We believe this creates a unified standard for our members.